Going to the gym daily the past two months as given me a new venue for people-watching. Granted, it’s not as diverse and strange as Disneyland guests or folks at the DMV, but there are specific groups of people at the gym who are amusing to observe.
- The middle-aged couples who do yoga together and wear matching track suits.
- The two lone 6’5 dudes in step class and pilates among 30 women. It sounds like a good deal for them, but the class is filled with 45-year-old wives so my pity is generously dished out.
- The young women who preen in the mirror. I thought the mirrors were for making sure you had correct form, but I’m learning that it’s also useful for readjusting your sparkly pink headband (only worn for a class you don’t actually sweat in, naturally) and making sure your ass still looks okay since the last time you checked 3 minutes ago.
- The thin young women who seem annoyed that they can’t do certain yoga poses, so during the class they either do other stretchy activities like the splits, they check their cell phone, or leave early (or all three, like some chick did today).
- The weight-lifting guys who like to watch the women through the glass working out.
- The girl who stays in the back of the class and scowls at anyone who sets their stuff 5 inches from hers and makes mental notes of the types of people who go to the gym at 9AM on weekday mornings. Oh, wait…